From the time you first open the box and read the instructions, to installing your KitLock digital locker lock and operating it on a daily basis, you’ll notice that everything has been designed with ease of use in mind. If you follow the step-by-step installation and operating instructions then you will get years of reliable service from our digital cabinet locks.
However, there may be some occasions where you need a little extra assistance and this is where our technical support team can help. They are available from 9am to 5pm Mon-Fri to talk you through any issues you may have. You can contact them on 0800 393405 or fill out our online form.
In this blog post we’ve taken some of the questions that the technical support team are frequently asked and put them in an ‘everything you need to know’ guide to help you install and operate your KitLock correctly.
1. Fitting the lock – first open the box and check that it contains all of the parts. If there’s anything missing, contact the technical support team and they’ll send you replacements.
Next, test the lock to make sure it works. To do this simply install the batteries supplied and connect the cables from the front to the battery pack. If you hear a beep, then the lock is working and you can proceed to the installation. If it doesn’t beep, check that the batteries are installed properly and try again.
Before installing your lock, we’d recommend that you read the instructions through and familiarise yourself with all the parts. Even without prior experience, it shouldn’t take you more than 20 minutes to install. All our installation instructions can be downloaded from our website if you need extra copies.
Remember not to let the handle have free movement. If the cam is too tight against the inside of the cabinet then it will start to jam and not work properly. Also remember to check the cam regularly – see point 5.
2. Resetting the master code – it’s amazing how many people don’t reset the factory master code! You should change this immediately. If you don’t then your KitLock isn’t very secure, and anyone can reprogram your lock without you knowing. We’ve published videos on YouTube showing you how to change the master code on our KL1000 and KL2000 locks
3. Changing from private to public mode – we ship all our KitLock digital locks with private mode set as the default function. In this mode, one person or a small group of people will use the same access code over and over again. In public mode, each user will select his/her own access code, which will lock and open the locker once only. This mode is often used for short-term occupancy lockers in gyms, spas or leisure centres. It’s very easy to switch modes, follow our video or operating instructions for details.
The most important thing to remember when using KitLock in public mode is to make sure the user enters his/her code twice. If the code is entered only once and the handle closed, the locker will not be secure. To avoid this happening, we provide a sticker with operating instructions for you to place on the locker. Put the sticker in a clearly visible place, and offer demonstrations to make sure that users know how to operate the lock. Encourage them to check that the locker is secure before they walk away; it will save you time in the long run!
4. Make use of the technician code – if you are using KitLock in public mode, then the technician code can be very useful. By enabling a technician code, a member of staff can access lockers without erasing the user code. So, for example, if someone forgets their code and isn’t sure which locker they used, it will allow the staff member to check the contents of several lockers without impacting any of the access codes.
5. Perform a six monthly check – over time, and with continual slamming of the door, the cam may bend slightly making it sit in the wrong place and jam. Check the cam every six months or so to ensure this doesn’t happen. If the cam is too loose, a small blob of superglue on the screw head will keep it in place.
We hope these tips help you avoid some of the common installation and operational mistakes that can occur. Don’t forget that our technical support team is always on hand to provide additional assistance.
Here are some tweets from customers who’ve contacted us for help: